Entering our mix zone

It started at the arse-crack of dawn… Getting May vertical without the lure of tea wasn’t quite as difficult as I feared, but I guess there were other motivations to get things over and done with.

We’re fortunate that there is a bus route that is door to door between chez May and Riverside clinic. In the pre-rush-hour traffic it took just 25 minutes, alas a rather sweltering 55 minutes on the way home.

The hospital was rather like a hotel in many ways. We reported to reception, where our names were on the list, and no sooner than our bums had touched the waiting room seats a porter had appeared to escort us to our room – a private room all to ourselves. There were brochures and numbers for room service by the phone and a lunch menu worthy of a hotel with order form.

We shuffled around nervously in our room for about 45 mins before a nurse came in and checked we were who we were supposed to be and for there for the right reason before taking blood pressure and leaving gown and slipper socks for May. The anaesthetist also popped in to introduce herself and ask similar questions. A few minutes later Dr George came in to see how we were, check our notes and treatment, echo praise for May (as a proxy for satsuma) for responding so well to the drugs and check if we had any questions. He let us know that May was about half way down the list, which approximated to 11-11:30 kickoff.

So we had a couple of hours to kill. We checked our messages of support on various blogs and twitters (thanks all), May read, I played games on my iPad. May picked omelette (eggs out, eggs in – I love her style) and ice cream for lunch. Then suddenly at 9:45 the phone input room rang… I was being summoned by the embryology lab for my ‘contribution’. Over which I draw a discrete veil, suffice to say that it was probably less traumatic and more ‘fun’ than May’s experiences, the free wifi was useful and it was certainly quicker, as I was back up in our room by 10:20. May meanwhile was told they were running very quickly and smoothly today (little did they know) and probably would get down to business at 10:30. So we only had a few minutes to share anecdotes/notes before she donned the bright yellow slipper socks and was shuffled away.

Scheduled to take half an hour and then another half an hour in recovery. I settled in with my computer games for a while. After an hour and twenty minutes I suddenly realised what the time was and started to get slightly concerned. As if by magic the nurse popped in with an update to say May was still very drowsy and needed another 15 minutes in recovery, but reassured me it went OK and she was fine, after 20 minutes another update visit from the nurse saying anoth 10 minutes recovery required… So, if your ready for wibbly-wobbly FX I’ll take you back to what happens with May and the cause for these delays ~~~

May’s dehydration (nil by mouth since midnight) meant her already recalcitrant back of the hand veins were determined to play hide and seek with the anaesthetist and her assistant. After a few minutes of painful digging they declare a rather bruised (pride for nurses, physical for May – ouchy) truce, the cannula had to go to the crook of the arm instead. Once under May doesn’t remember much (probably just as well), but apparently Dr George reported that it was the most challenging egg collection he had done. Satsuma had taken her high ground sulking stance and stuck with it. So, as foreboded, a nurse had to push down hard while an extra long probe was used. Dr George admitted he feared he might not be able to see anything, but once in position with the right forces applied he had no problems and was able to retrieve the majority of the large follicles – 13 eggs in total, the extra fussing meant not only was May’s procedure longer, but subsequently the recovery was longer too. When May started to come round they asked her about pain levels immediately, when her lower lip wobbled and she croaked she was very sore, there was no hesitation in feeding tramadol into the iv line, which started acting mercifully quickly.

While May was under room service had delivered a jug of water, so the May rehydration project began immediately. The nurse bringing her back in also made sure room service had a cup of tea on the way. A saline flush was put through the iv line and then 500ml of mayonnaise (aka intralipids), which meant May had a very leisurely recovery time of over four hours. After about an hour May was feeling up to considering her lunch, so that was duly summoned from the kitchen – a very grand mushroom omlette, which included oyster and enochi mushrooms in the mix along with a real portion of nice mixed leaf salad (not the usualy limp iceburg and cucumber chunk garnish) served under a proper cloche (albeit stainless steel, rather than silverware). The icecream was tub of proper devon vanilla with the flecks of vanilla pod in. Dr George popped in again to check on May and again see if we had questions. Having observed other’s IVF treatments via the interwebs I can certainly say that our clinic does seem to make an effort to ensure we’re fully informed (excusing the small blip before we started). After making sure May had eaten enough and was settled I ventured up the road to a deli that May recommended. It was very pleasant to escape the hospital for a little while and I had lunch with John Cleese, well OK he was a few tables away in the attached restaurant next door – I had lunch in the presence of John Cleese.

Back in our room we continued to toy with the wifi on our iDevices and I had a little snooze at one point I think. May put on the TV to watch some soothing David Attenborough, which was followed by a delightfully old edition of Antiques Roadshow – all the presenters so much younger. The mayonnaise took a long old while, but nothing further exciting to report, it was very hot and sticky – the nurse flushed and removed the canula and said we were free to go. EC day achieved and now we wait for the mixing results…


16 responses to “Entering our mix zone

  • Chickenpig

    Wonderful news about the amount of eggs! Fantastic! Best of luck for equally fantastic fertilization results πŸ™‚

  • Jo

    Hip, hip hooray for H and May! I am so sorry that collection was difficult, but so glad that your clinic took good care of you. And 13 eggs! Woot! Woot! So many possibilities abound. Cannot WAIT to hear how wonderfully everything mixes up.

  • bionicbrooklynite

    So glad they had wifi — I was thinking of how technology would allow you to go on Flickr or what have you for a picture of your in-laws’ actual house this time….

    Three cheers for you all, and you’ll have to forgive me if my natural sensibilities have me sending some extra cheer to May. The dehydration/small veins bit is horrible (and enragingly dumb, frankly — if my stomach can’t clear a few ounces of liquid in under twelve hours…well, perhaps you should work me up for that). I am quite impressed with the omelet — my clinic just had apple juice and a couple of graham crackers. I hope satsuma is not too upset over her rough morning and quietly advise keeping up with the pain meds unless you are really, really sure you don’t need to. Xoxoxo

  • starrhillgirl

    Hooray! And fancy! I thought my clinic was fancy, but there was no lunch menu, only peanut butter crackers and ginger ale. You win!
    (And, yes. Keep up the pain meds. No need to let that shit get ahead of you.)

  • L.

    Sorry to hear retrieval was difficult, but three cheers for 13 eggs! And how nice to be treated in a place that’s comfortable, attentive, and communicative, and serves good food. Feel better soon, May, and ongoing good wishes to you both.

  • Betty M

    13 eggs is brilliant. Hope you feel well enough to enjoy the weekend.

  • a

    13 eggs is great, but John Cleese!!!! That’s amazing! πŸ™‚

  • Valery Valentina

    you survived. And this being more than 12 hours later there should have been the part that IVF is named after: fertilisation. Will now keep an eye on this site for the twitter updates. Will the clinic/lab update you today? I know, Saturday. And probably the F isn’t the part where things are most exciting but the days after….
    Hope the pain is managed well (and no extra pain added for the ovulation from the hidden follicles?)
    Good luck.
    will resume hoping position now.

  • Bachelor's Button

    Loads of eggs. That is fantastic. Hope that the news is good today! I have this looming on Wednesday. Your blog is boosting my morale no end! Hx

  • Lilian

    Well done on getting through the day. Glad it went reasonably well. Hope May recovers quickly. I’m impressed by the sound of the hospital food! πŸ™‚

  • Mina

    Well, no one really expected Satsuma or May’s medically funny, prank-pulling body to comply and have a grand old time of playing nice. No, it was the elephants marching and the tight rope juggling and the entire rest of the circus staff we were expecting to hear about. And did. Even John Cleese’s presence in this account is not all that surprising, I must say. Was he with yet another young blond floozy, sorry, lady? πŸ™‚
    It sounds like you were treated nicely there. And hopefully they call back with excellent news soon.

  • twangy

    Poor May: the pressing sounds painful. But! Everything else sounds GREAT. Lunch sounds amaaaazing too. Yay! Fingers still firmly crossed for the mixing.

  • Jen

    Crossing fingers and toes for good results! Hopefully the presence of John Cleese means extra good luck?

  • Sheila

    Nine embryos – wooooohoooooo!! Hope you’re feeling ok today and not too sore.

%d bloggers like this: